Sous Chef & Chef de Partie Jobs
Working for a cruise line as a Sous Chef or a Chef de Partie
Chef de Partie and Sous Chef onboard a cruise ship are members of the Galley team (the kitchen staff on a cruise ship). Chef de Partie is responsible for a specific section of the kitchen. Chefs de Partie and Sous Chefs working on cruise ships can be responsible for sections such as the Fish, Meat, Sauces, Hot Garnish, Garde Manger, Vegetable, Pastry, etc. Depending on the size of the culinary brigade in the Galley, Chef de Partie and Sous Chef may be asked to oversee one kitchen section s/he is responsible for or sometimes work in more than one cruise ship kitchen sections.
In order to ensure smooth work flow in the Galley, cruise ship kitchen staff must have good knowledge of the section assigned to them. The job of Chef de Partie and Sous Chef is to ensure that his/her kitchen section is fully stocked at all times.
Cruise Chef de Partie job description
- Supervision of the day-to-day operation of the assigned kitchen section
- Production of food that meets the culinary standards, as well as the cost and quality control guidelines established by the cruise line company
- Monitoring all stocks for all ingredients required for the production of all foods produced in the assigned section
- Adherence and compliance with all hygiene, safety and environmental regulations and all guidelines established by the cruise line company and governmental bodies such as USPH
- Inventory management, waste management, cleanliness of all working areas, handling of and care for all equipment in the assigned kitchen section
Job requirements for Sous Chefs & Chefs de Partie
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the position of Chef de Partie or Sous Chef in high-end establishments. Experience working on cruise ships and in hotels is preferred.
- Experience managing Demi Chefs de Partie
- A Culinary diploma
- National Culinary certificates such as CAP Cuisinier, BTM, NVQ Level 2
- HACCP training
- Ability to communicate in English – minimum of a B level on the European scale
- A valid passport
Cruise line Sous Chef & Chef de Partie job benefits
Along with a challenging career and worldwide travel opportunities, cruise lines offer many other benefits. Career opportunities include promotion to junior sous-chef, Sous Chef and Chef positions within the Galley operation. Chefs de Partie are offered double cabin accommodations as well as competitive remuneration packages. Travel to and from the cruise ships from the nearest international airport is paid for by the cruise lines. Meals are provided at no cost. Uniforms are provided.
Salary of a cruise line Chef de Partie
The salary offered to Chefs de Partie varies between cruise lines. In addition to the monthly salary paid by the cruise lines, all other expenses such as flights to and from the ship, lodging, meals and uniforms are provided by the cruise line at no cost.
The salary will be discussed during the interview with a member of the recruitment team at Pro Sea Staff.
If you are looking for cruise ship chef job opportunities, check our list of cruise line jobs!